We collect, use and disclose Personal Information (including to and
from your insurance company, our affiliates and/or subsidiaries and/or third party
providers/suppliers) for the following purposes:
- Offering and providing insurance quotes, policies, and related products and services to you;
- Administering and processing insurance products and services;
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal Information through, for example, the exchange of information with government agencies, industry associations, property and motor vehicle information databases, brokers or other insurers;
- Analyzing, assessing, underwriting and reinsuring risks on a prudent basis;
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums;
- Investigating and settling claims;
- Detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- Compiling statistics and reporting to regulatory or industry entities in accordance with prudent insurance practices;
- Gathering your feedback to help us improve our products and services.
- Complying with the law or the requests of law enforcement agencies or regulators; and
- Notifying you of products or services that might be of interest to you.
It is important that you understand and consent to our collection, use
and disclosure of your Personal Information. We rely on the following
actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and
future use of your Personal Information for Identified Purposes, until
you notify us of a withdrawal of your consent:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to us or through an insurance broker or representative for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or related service or product (including information previously provided to us);
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained, for example, within a written, verbal or electronic application process;
- Your consent solicited by us (or our agent) for a specified purpose;
Where allowed by law, you may be given the option to give your consent for us to access limited credit information about you from a credit reporting agency. Please call us at 1 403 328 1000 to learn more about our use of Credit information for underwriting and pricing decisions.
WITHDRAWAL OF CONSENT
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw your consent at any time. If you wish to withdraw your consent for the use of your personal information for all or part of the above purposes, please call us at 1-403-328-1000. In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for us to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with, or continue to provide you with, insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information. We will inform you of any consequences of withdrawing your consent.
LIMITING COLLECTION AND RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only collect, use, or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes. We will retain your Personal Information only as long as necessary to accomplish the identified Purposes or to satisfy our legal or business obligations.
We will keep your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes.
We will protect your Personal Information by various physical, technological, and organizational safeguards. When your Personal Information is no longer needed, security safeguards will also be employed to ensure the safe destruction of your Personal Information. We will use contractual and other means to control the use and disclosure of your Personal Information by third parties. We or service providers acting on our behalf may process and/or store some or all of your Personal Information in jurisdictions outside of Canada, including the United States. You should note that some jurisdictions outside of Canada may not have laws that provide privacy protections that are substantially similar to those in Canada.
ACCOUNTABILITY, OPENNESS AND CUSTOMER ACCESS
INFORMATION ON THE USE OF CREDIT SCORE
Where allowed by law, you may be given the option to give your consent for us to access limited credit information about you from a credit reporting agency. We will use this credit information, along with other information related to your insurance application, in order to determine your eligibility for certain premium discounts. Research indicates that information on consumer behaviour and credit use is a valuable tool to assess insurance risk.
If you permit us to retrieve your credit score, it will not be visible by your broker. Instead, your credit score will be used in addition to other underwriting factors by an automated system to generate a discount factor which we will use to determine your eligibility for a discount. We may continue to retrieve your current credit score from time to time, while you remain a customer of ours, unless you withdraw your consent for us to do this.
We will not refuse to provide a quote or coverage if you do not permit us to use your credit score. In that case we will use other factors specific to your insurance application to generate your premium, including your claims history, although without our ability to use your credit score you may not be eligible for the best premium.
You have the ability to check your own credit report and history, and in fact it is recommended that you request a copy of your credit report from a credit reporting agency at least once per year to verify that your personal information is up to date, that your financial information is correct and to ensure that you have not been the victim of identity theft. You can request a copy of your credit history from TransUnion at www.transunion.ca or 1-800-663-9980 (1-877-713-3393 in Quebec).
If you believe that there is a mistake in your credit history, you should contact TransUnion. If we learn of a correction to your credit file, we will update your file and amend the policy premium.
If you wish to revoke your consent for us to use your credit information, please contact us.
Last updated March 2014
* In this Policy, “customer”, “you” or “your” includes any individual who has requested, applied for or been supplied with, products or services (including claims services) by us including any other individual for whom the customer has acted as agent, guardian or representative. “We”, “our” or “us” means Astro Insurance 1000 Inc.